30 minutes cooking time
45 minutes preparation time
- 250 g Klein Karoo Ostich Meat
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 large Onion
- 3 small cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Ground Coriander
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Masala
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Apricot Jam
- 1 1/2 cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 4 rounds Feta Cheese, crumbed
- 1 1/4 cup Pine Kernels, roasted
- 1 box Phyllo Pastry (14 sheets)
- 125 g Melted Butter or Cooking Oil
- Preheat oven to 190 °C.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry till light brown.
- Lower heat and add the three spices.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ostrich minced meat and stir.
- Add the salt, pepper lemon juice, brown sugar and apricot jam.
- Remove from stove and let cool.
- Roast ¼ cup pine kernels in a pan on low heat or in oven.
- Add pine kernels, coriander leaves and Feta cheese to the meat mixture and season to taste.
- Place pastry sheet on work surface and brush with melted butter.
- Top with another sheet and brush with butter and cut lengthwise into four strips.
- To keep pastry moist, cover with damp tea cloth.
- Place three level teaspoons meat at the end of each strip.
- Fold pastry over to form a triangle and to cover filling.
- Keep folding till end of strip.
- Brush triangle with butter, place on oven tray.
- Repeat process with remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake 15-20 minutes till golden brown.
- Serve hot with Wellington’s sweet chilli sauce.
Recipe by: Alet Coetzee