Ostrich Steak with Green Peppercorn and Brandy Sauce
12 minutes cooking time
20 minutes preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Steak
- Seasoning of your choice
- Baste with olive oil. Heat heavy based or griddle pan until very hot. If you are having a braai, the coals should be very hot.
- Place the steaks in pan or barbecue and seal both sides.
- Once the steak is sealed sprinkle with seasoning.
- Turn meat twice on each side until cooked to preferred doneness. Remove from heat.
- Baste with low fat oil, e.g. olive oil. Leave to rest covered for 3 to 4 minutes before serving
- Serve with vegetables in season and a green pepper corn sauce.
GREEN PEPPERCORN & BRANDY SAUCE
- 2 cups Heavy or Whipping Cream
- 3 tablespoons Canned Green Peppercorns, rinsed under cold water
- 1 cup Reduced Beef Stock
- ½ cup Brandy
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine the heavy or whipping cream and green peppercorns.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent boiling over.
- Cook until reduced to coat the back of a spoon and there is approximately 1 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef stock and brandy, cooking until thickened.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat and keep warm until serving.
Recipe by: Tersia de Wet