Ostrich Steak Starter with Monkey Gland Sauce
42 minutes cooking time
2 hours preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Steak Meddalions
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and coarsely ground Black Pepper
- Season both sides of steak medallions lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove from fridge; keep at room temperature for another hour before cooking.
- Heat the olive oil over high heat until it starts to smoke.
- Pat steaks dry and brown for 3-7 minutes, depending on how you like it done.
- Remove the steaks and transfer to a platter.
- Cut into thin slices and serve immediately.
- Serve with monkey gland sauce or a sauce of your choice.
MONKEY GLAND SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely crushed
- ½ cup Water
- 410g can whole peeled Tomatoes
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup Fruit Chutney
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Heat oil in grill pan or heavy-based pot and sauté onions and garlic until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
Recipe: Tersia de Wet