10 minutes cooking time
40 minutes preparation time
- 125 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Fillet or Steak
- 1 cup Short Grain White Rice
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 4 sheets Nori
- Wasabi to taste (optional)
- 1 small Lebanese Cucumber, peeled
- 1 1/2 small Avocado
- 1 1/4 cup Pickled Ginger
- Soya Sauce for dipping
- Wash rice in cold water, drain well.
- Place rice and water in medium pan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 4 – 5 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Cover, reduce heat to very low and cook for another 4 – 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and cool.
- Stir combined vinegar, sugar and salt into rice.
- Place one sheet of Nori onto a piece of greaseproof paper on a flat surface.
- Place a quarter of the rice along one end of the Nori, leaving a 2 cm border around the three sides.
- Spread a very small amount of wasabi down the centre of the rice.
- Cut the rare ostrich meat into thin strips, and the cucumber and the avocado into small pieces.
- Place the pieces of ostrich meat, cucumber, avocado and ginger over the wasabi.
- Using the paper as a guide, roll up firmly from the bottom, enclosing in the rice the ingredients placed in the centre.
- Press Nori to seal edges. Use a sharp flat-bladed or electric knife to cut roll into 2,5 cm rounds.
- Repeat process with remaining ingredients.
- Serve Shasheem with small shallow bowls of soy sauce, or extra wasabi mixed with soy sauce, for dipping.
Recipe by: Conrad de Wet