1 hour cooking time
2 hours preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Mince
- 4 slices Bread, crusts removed
- 100 ml Milk
- 1 Leek (white part only), washed and finely chopped
- 1 Red Sweet Pepper, finely chopped
- 15 ml Olive Oil
- 30 ml Finely Chopped Flat-Leaf Parsley
- 2.5 ml Cayenne Pepper
- 1.25 ml Ground Nugmeg
- 10 ml Worcestershire Sauce or Dijon Mustard
- 30 ml Tomato Sauce
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tin (400g) Tomatoes, chopped
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 2.5 ml Dried Oregano
- 5 ml Sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Soak the bread in the milk for a minute or two, then lightly squeeze dry.
- Heat 15 ml olive oil.
- Fry the chopped leek and sweet pepper for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan. In a bowl mix the rest of the ingredients with a fork.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Shape the meat into a loaf and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Mix the chopped tomato, cherry tomatoes, oregano and sugar and carefully pour the sauce over the meat loaf.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 200 °C, lower the temperature to 180 °C and bake for a further 30 – 40 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with bread rolls and salad.
Recipe by: Tersia de Wet