Ostrich Kebabs served with Peanut Sauce and Mealie Pap
1 hour cooking time
2 hours preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Goulash
- 300 g Small Brown Mushrooms
- Pieces of Green and Red Peppers
- 150 ml Coconut Milk (low fat)
- 50 ml Beef Stock
- 30 ml Chopped Fresh Coriander
- 30 ml Brown Sugar
- 20 ml Red Curry Paste (Thai)
- 50 ml Fish Sauce (Thai)
- 20 ml Oil
- 5 ml Lightly Crushed Coriander Seeds
- Place the ostrich meat cubes, wiped mushrooms and chopped peppers in a marinade dish.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat.
- Marinate for 2 – 3 hours.
- Now thread meat, mushrooms and peppers alternately onto skewers.
- Grill over glowing coals for ± 5 minutes – the meat should be medium.
Makes 300 ml
- 10ml Oil
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- 2ml Ground Cumin
- 3ml Curry Paste (Thai)
- 50ml Peanut Butter
- 150ml Coconut Milk
- 15ml Brown Sugar
- 10ml Lemon Juice
- 10ml Fish Sauce
- 30ml Chopped Roasted Peanuts
- About 100ml chicken stock
- Heat oil. Add onion and garlic, sauté lightly.
- Add cumin and curry pastes and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in peanut butter, coconut milk and brown sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, fish sauce and peanuts.
- Bring back to the boil and dilute with stock to a pouring consistency.
- Serve with mealie pap and kebabs.
MEALIE PAP DELUXE
For most South Africans, a braai just isn’t the same without mealie pap. Try this tasty variation.
- 500ml Water
- 500ml Milk
- 500ml Mealie Meal
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 30ml Butter
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 x 410g can Corn Kernels, drained
- 250ml Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Bring the water, milk and mealie meal to the boil, stirring constantly until thick.
- Turn down the heat and add the remaining ingredients, except the cheese, and leave to simmer for 1 hour with the lid on.
- Add the cheese and leave for a further 10 minutes.
Recipe: Tersia de Wet