Ostrich Fillet Topped with Beans and Served with Two Sauces
12 minutes cooking time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Fillet
- 4 Young Green Beans per person, steamed
- 500 ml Soya Sauce
- 15 ml Green Peppercorns
- 15 ml Fresh Ginger, chopped
- 20 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Mix together all the ingredients and marinate the fillets for 2 hours.
- Remove meat from marinade and grill in hot pan to medium rare (3 min per side); be careful to not overcook.
- Reduce marinade in a separate pot to make a sauce.
- Blend to remove all the solids.
- 150 ml White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Spring Onions, chopped
- 10ml Fresh Tarragon, chopped
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 125ml Butter, cubed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 5ml Lemon Juice
- Put the white wine vinegar, spring onion and tarragon in a saucepan and let it simmer to reduce by a third.
- Allow to cool completely and then strain the vinegar into a heatproof bowl.
- Add to egg yolks and whisk over double boiler with barely simmering water until foamy.
- Whisk until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Add the butter, a cube at a time, whisking until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon juice and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Pour pepper sauce on each plate, place fillets on top, place beans on the fillets and drizzle with béarnaise sauce.
- Serve with boiled baby potatoes.
Recipe by: Chef Francois Ferreira