Ostrich Chilli Con Carne Wraps
1 hour cooking time
2 hours preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Mince
- 15 ml Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 stick Celery, chopped
- 5 ml Chilli Powder
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 5 ml Dried Oregano
- 440 g can Crushed Tomatoes
- 30 ml Tomato Paste
- 5 ml Soft Brown Sugar
- 15 ml Cider or Red Wine Vinegar
- 425 g can Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 125 ml Water
- 8 Whole Wheat Wraps
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan, and add the onion, garlic and celery.
- Stir over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the meat and cook over high heat for 5 minutes until well-browned, breaking up any lumps with a fork.
- Add the chilli power, cayenne pepper and oregano to the pan.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, water and the tomato paste, and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, vinegar and the kidney beans.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat through for 5 minutes.
- Serve with chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes and grated cheese in wraps.
Recipe by: Tersia de Wet