20 minutes cooking time
35 minutes preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Mince
- 1 slice White Bread
- 250 ml Milk
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Apple, grated
- 40 g Butter
- 20 ml Curry Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Fruit Chutney
- 1 1/4 cup Almonds, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup Raisins
- 15 ml Lemon Juice
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 200 ml Cream
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Soak the bread in the milk.
- Grease an ovenproof dish and set the oven to 180 °C.
- Lightly brown the ostrich mince in a hot pan with a little olive oil.
- Cook the onion and apple slowly in the butter until soft but not coloured.
- Add the turmeric and curry powder and cook for one minute.
- Mix the apple and onion with the meat, chutney, almonds, raisins and lemon juice.
- Drain and mash bread and reserve milk.
- Fork the bread into the meat.
- Season with salt and pepper, pile into the dish.
- Meanwhile, mix the eggs with the reserved milk and cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour this over the meat mixture, place the bay leaves on top.
- Stand dish in a larger pan of water (this is important to prevent drying out) and bake, uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until the custard has set and browned.
- Serve with rice, tomato sambal and fennel salad.
Recipe by: Chef Jodi-Ann Pearton