Ostrich Steak Burgers with Camembert and Onion Marmalade
20 minutes cooking time
35 minutes preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Steak Burgers
- 15 ml Olive Oil
- 4 Panini's or 2 small Baguettes, halved
- Mixed Salad Leaves
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced
- 16 slices Young Camembert
- Brush steak burgers with olive oil.
- Grill in hot griddle pan or braai on grid over moderately hot coals until nicely browned. Keep warm.
- 6 large Onions, thinly sliced
- 750ml Sherry or Red Wine Vinegar
- 750ml Sugar
- 90ml Mustard Seeds
- 2-4 Bay Leaves
- 20 Black Peppercorns, cracked
- Place onions, sherry or red wine vinegar, sugar, bay leaves and peppercorns in a heavy-based pot over low heat.
- Simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated and onions are translucent.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place in glass jars and refrigerate. Will keep for 4-6 months.
- Butter both sides of the bread.
- Place leaves and a tomato slice on the bottom part.
- Place ostrich steak burgers on the leaves, followed by the Camembert; top with onion marmalade and the other half of buttered bread. Serve.
Replace butter with low fat cottage cheese. Camembert can be replaced with shavings of mature cheddar or Parmesan cheese.
Recipe by: Chef Francois Ferreira