Hot Thai Ostrich Fillet Salad
10 minutes cooking time
20 minutes preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Fillet
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Mint Leaves, torn
- 1 large Red Onion or 2 Large Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Red Chillies, sliced
- Juice of 1 large Lime or 1/2 Lemon
- 30 ml Fish Sauce
- 5 ml Sugar
- A handfull of mixed Salad Greens
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 Red Chilli, halved
- Lime Wedges for serving
- Baste fillets lightly with olive oil.
- Season with pepper and cook in a hot griddle pan or under a preheated grill for 5 minutes on each side or until done to taste.
- Remove and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut fillet into very thin slices and place in a bowl with remaining meat juices.
- Meanwhile, combine the mint leaves with the onions, chilies, lime or lemon juice, fish sauce and sugar.
- Stir well and add to the ostrich fillet slices, tossing. Combine with the mixed salad greens and cherry tomatoes, scatter peanuts and chopped chili bits on top, and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe by: Tersia de Wet