12 minutes cooking time | 20 minutes preparation time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Goulash
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small green chili, finely chopped
- 3 cm piece ginger, grated
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 can (212g) crushed tomatoes
- 100 ml coconut cream
- 3 Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 head lettuce
- Cut the meat into cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the garlic, chilies, and ginger, and stir for a further 2 minutes, taking care not to burn it.
- Mix together the turmeric, cumin, coriander and chili powder in a small bowl.
- Stir to a smooth paste with 2 tablespoons water and add to the frying pan.
- Stir constantly for 2 minutes, taking care not to burn it.
- Add the meat a handful at a time, stirring well to coat with spices.
- It is important to make sure that all the meat is coated well and browned.
- Add salt to taste and stir in the undrained tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut cream 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Basmati rice or poppadums and tomato, carrot and banana sambals.
Recipe: Tersia de Wet