20 minutes cooking time
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Fillet * Seasoning of your choice
- Baste the fillet steaks with olive oil.
- Heat a heavy based pan or griddle pan until very hot. If you are having a braai, the coals should be very hot.
- Place the steaks in a hot pan or on the barbecue to seal both sides.
- Once the steak is sealed sprinkle with seasoning. Turn meat twice on each side until it is done to preferred taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Baste with low-fat oil, e.g. olive oil.
- Cover and leave to rest for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
- Serve with seasonal vegtables and green peppercorn sauce.
Green Peppercorn and Brandy Sauce:
Makes 2 cups
- 2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons canned green peppercorns, rinsed under cold water *
- 1 cup reduced beef stock *
- ½ cup brandy
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine the heavy or whipping cream and green peppercorns.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent boiling over.
- Cook until reduced to coat the back of a spoon and there is approximately 1 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef stock and brandy, cooking until thickened.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat and keep warm until serving.
Recipe: Tersia de Wet