50 minutes cooking time | 60 minutes preparation time
Ingredients for the meat base:
- 2 tbsp butter *
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 kg KLEIN KAROO Ostrich mince *
- 1 carrot, grated *
- 2/4 tbsp tomato purée *
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup *
- 4 tbsp red wine *
- 1 tsp chili flakes *
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped *
- 2 tsp ground cumin *
- 50ml chutney *
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
FOR THE MEAT BASE
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan and when it begins to foam, add the diced onion and the ostrich mince.
- Sauté for 6 to 8 minutes or until brown.
- Add the grated carrot, tomato purée, ketchup, red wine, and the chili flakes.
- Stir well and raise the heat to a rapid simmer.
- Cook for a further 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, the cumin, chutney and season to taste.
- Leave to simmer for 5 minutes longer.
FOR THE TOPPING
- 6 potatoes, peeled and diced *
- 4 broccoli head, cut into florets *
- 60g butter *
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper *
- Chives to garnish
- Boil the potatoes in plenty of boiling water for 6 – 8 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook for a further 4 – 6 minutes.
- Drain into a bowl, then mash with the butter and season to taste.
- To assemble the dish place meat on bottom of a pre-sprayed ovenproof dish top with the potato and broccoli mash, heat through and serve garnished with chives.
Recipe: Tersia de Wet