2 minutes cooking time | 5-8 hours preparation time
Serves 8 – 10
2 kg KLEIN KAROO OSTRICH FILLET *
2 – 3 teaspoons ground black pepper *
45 g Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced.
- Grill ostrich fillet in pan or open fire. Seal fillets first before rubbing the meat with black pepper.
- Braai until rare or medium rare.
- Remove from fire and place in a casserole. Leave until cold. Place in fridge for 5 – 8 hours.
- Prepare the herb sauce so long and then cut the fillets into paper thin slices.
- ¼ cup light olive oil (or cooking oil) *
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil *
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar *
- 2 tablespoons French mustard *
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise *
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley *
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme *
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped marjoram.
- Mix first three ingredients well and divide equally. Pour into two small bowls.
- Add mustard and mayonnaise to one bowl oil/vinegar and mix with a small wire whisk. Do not use an electric blender – it can cause the sauce to curdle.
- Pour this sauce on the basis and near the rim of a platter. Place the thinly sliced ostrich fillet (overlapping) on top of the sauce in the platter.
- Whisk herbs and remaining oil/vinegar mix together and pour over meat.
- Decorate with slivers of Parmesan.
- Serve hot or cold with a variety of breads and salad.
Recipe: Alet Coetzee