Ostrich Steak with Bearnaise Sauce
Ostrich Steak Served with a Rich Delicious Sauce.
Ready in: 20 Minutes
Cooking time: 20 Minutes
Waiting time: 5 Minutes
For 4 people
Move the slider to change the portion size:
- 500 grams Klein Karoo Ostrich Steak
- 15 mL Olive Oil
- 0.3 cup(s) white wine vinegar
- 2 spring onions, roughly choppped
- 10 mL fresh tarragon,chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 125 mL butter, cubed
- 3 mL salt and pepper to taste
- Baste the ostrich steak with olive oil.
- Heat a heavy-based or griddle pan until it is very hot. If braaiing, the coals should be very hot.
- Place the steaks in the pan or on the grid and seal both sides. Once the meat is sealed, sprinkle with seasoning.
- Turn the meat twice on each side until done to taste.
- Remove from heat. Baste with olive oil. Cover and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
For the Bearnaise Sauce, combine the following Ingredients:
Please note: These quantities will vary accordingly if you adjust the number of people to be served in the ingredient section above.
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 10ml fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 125ml butter, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the white wine vinegar, spring onion and tarragon in a small pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat slightly and simmer until the mixture has reduced by a third.
- Allow to cool completely and then strain the vinegar into a heatproof bowl.
- Add the egg yolks to the bowl, then place the bowl over a pot of barely simmering water.
- Whisk until the mixture is thick and pale. Add the butter, a cube at a time, whisking between each addition until the mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.